|Posted by Matthew Liedke on December 17, 2014 at 4:10 PM|
'The Interview' with Seth Rogan and James Franco was set for a Christmas release.
Multiple theater companies across the nation have made the decision to either drop or delay the upcoming comedy movie "The Interview" following a threat made by a group of hackers that infiltrated Sony Pictures Entertainment, according to Variety.
Regal Cinemas, Cinemark, Cineplex and AMC Entertainment have all made statements toward their decision not to show the film on its release date. Variety reports that the chains join Bow Tie Cinemas and Carmike in deciding not to show the theater.
Also included in the dropout are Southern Theaters, B&B Theaters and ArcLight Cinemas.
Following the threat, Variety states that Sony Pictures would support chains if they chose not to show the picture.
The original threat message by the hackers said that "The world will be full of fear. Remember the 11th of September 2001. We recommend you to keep yourself distant from the places at that time. (If your house is nearby, you’d better leave.) Whatever comes in the coming days is called by the greed of Sony Pictures Entertainment.”
This week, the United States Department of Homeland Security released a statement this week that said there was "no evidence of an active plot against movie theaters," however, it further stated that "there is also the possibility that the hackers' message might inspire copycat attacks, according to knowledgable insiders."
Earlier in 2014, the hacker group broke Sony's security and leaked internal documents and salary information as well as social security numbers.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, Canadian theater company Cineplex Entertainment has also decided to postpone the release of "The Interview."
The Hollywood Reporter
Categories: Film Industry News
© Copyright 2014 - After The Movie Reviews - Powered by Webs.com